Nothing like a huge maple to hoist up the center of a fan-dipole. Unfortunately, our new QTH doesn't have large trees to support our excellent Alpha-Delta antenna. This has led us to spending some quality time reading our 21st Edition of the ARRL Antenna Book to gather up different ideas.
Our design criteria:
- No tower
- Multi-band (as many as possible)
- Effective for DX'ing including all 50 States
- Durable in a permanent all-weather installation (e.g. rain, wind, snow, ice, ...)
- No trees suitable for hanging an antenna
- Large hill rising to the North and falling to the South
- Tall chimney on house
- 150 feet of back yard
In part 2 of this article series, we will select and install our first antenna in the new location.