I received a helpful list from a neighbor on preparing for a wildfire evacuation. I am sharing this information in case it is helpful to others.
- BE PREPARED
- TURN ON yard sprinklers. Turn them off before you evacuate.
- MOVE outdoor furniture / anything flammable to IN garage.
- TAKE DOWN shades
- CLEAN gutters / leaves of debris
- RUN hose lines around property, brass nozzles are best.
- Turn OFF natural gas - wrench next to meter
- Turn ON outdoor house lights (front of house/garage)
- CLOSE windows and doors - Remove all cloth and plastic curtains
- EMAIL / TEXT / CALL Let family outside of area know individual / group plans - Leave a letter on kitchen counter of who you are, who is with you and where you are going and how you’re getting there - INFORM all neighbors of your plans and learn theirs
- MOVE indoor furniture away from windows / doors to center of room
- MOVE flammable materials to the center of the garage, ideally not on the ground.
- PLACE extension ladder leading to roof
- CLOSE OFF roof / eave vents - duct tape
- DISCONNECT automatic garage door opener, manually close.
- TAPE any gaps between garage door and ground, so no embers can blow under
- LEAVE car unlocked with keys in ignition
- WRITE note and paste to front door informing you have evacuated and the date. Note where the closest fire hydrant is to you.
- POSITION security cameras to see your surroundings better
- CUT all branches that are too close to your house. Form pile away from house, not under trees (center of driveway for example)
- REMOVE flammable plants (lavender, etc) within 3 feet of home
- HELP your neighbors and COMMUNICATE regularly
- EVACUATE while you have time on your side
If you are a amateur radio operator, remember, cell phone and internet services are prone to failure.
- BRING your fully charged amateur radio HTs and charger with you (already programmed with your area's repeaters).
- LISTEN to your radio to monitor for news updates.
Do you have additional tactics to add to this list? Please leave a comment.