KC2VSR had a great time building this Velleman 3D Xmas Tree Kit. The holiday theme really put us into the holiday spirit too.
The kit comes with a set of detailed instructions. No issues understanding what to do.
The first thing we did was to layout the parts to make sure everything was included. We found the kit had all the parts and enough extra LED's to make the trees solid red or a combination of red, yellow, and green. KC2VSR chose to go with the multicolor design.
KC2VSR used this handy project vise to hold the circuit parts steady during installation and soldering.
KC2VSR demonstrating proper soldering technique - heat the part first (not the solder) and let the solder flow. Nice work!
Voila! The finished 3D Xmas Tree. It worked the very first time powered up. We like the clever design of using the 9V battery as the based of the tree.
There is something about blinking LEDs that really makes a project come to life - the LED fun factor.
|The 3D XMas Tree looks great in the dark too.|
- Great kit for anyone interested in developing soldering skills
- LED adds a "fun factor" to the finished product
- Clear instructions
- Low cost
- Creative design
- Exposed components show off the builder's skill - conversation piece
- Possibilities for experimentation - e.g. changing values of capacitors, trying different transistors, ...
Happy Holidays from KC2VSR and NJ2X
Be sure to checkout our related articles:
- Project: Tiny Mint Tin Switched 9v Battery to Anderson PowerPole
- Project: Wheel Of Fortune Kit (Velleman)
- Brain Game Kit - Velleman
- 3D Xmas Tree Kit - Velleman
- Soldering 101
- Desoldering 101
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - New Arrival
© Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM, 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.