- Minimal contact resistance at high current, wiping action cleans contact surface during connection/disconnection.
Colored Modular Housings
- Provides visual identification of proper mating connector.
- Secures individual connectors into "keyed" assemblies which prevents mis-connection with similar configurations.
- Anderson Powerpoles have emerged as the defacto power connector standard in the amateur radio community.
- This means it is easier to power your equipment at hamfests, club meetings, field day, emergency communications, ....
1 - pair of Anderson Powerpole contacts (black and red)
1 - 2-inch length of suitable heat shrink tubing
1 - vehicle power cable (AKA cigarette lighter power cable)
Step 9: Dovetail the two connectors together and interlock the red and black Anderson Powerpole by slipping the keyed parts together as pictured above.
- Since it is possible that vehicle manufacturers may reverse polarity of the power output, be sure to use your multimeter or Anderson PowerPole Polarity Checker to confirm that red Anderson Powerpole connector is indeed positive on your vehicle prior to using the cable.
- We built our cable for use with low power devices. Be sure to use a cable suitable for the current your device will draw.
- An in line fuse or fuse integrated into the tip of the vehicle power adapter is a good idea.
- Adding a ferrite bead or two can do wonders with keeping RF off the power cable (our junk box cable came with a ferrite already installed).
By Michael Maher (NJ2X)
- What is the schematic symbol for a ferrite bead?
- What is a ferrite bead?
- Project: Anderson PowerPole Polarity Checker
- Project: Anderson Powerpole to 2.1mm Connector Pigtail
- Soldering 101
- Anderson PowerPole Articles
- Using your multimeter: Continuity Test
© Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM, 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.