We recently ordered a new 40m single sideband (SSB) transceiver kit for the purpose of being the focus of our bench time in the shop this winter. The kit is the KN-Q7A single band SSB transceiver by Adam Rong, BD6CR/4.
Adam launched his new website CRKits in December 2011. The website includes complete documentation and pricing information. The current price for the kit is $115 plus $25 shipping to the US. Kits can be purchased from Adam directly or through distributors.
We had been considering various kits over the last few months. We decided on this kit for several reasons:
Now that the kit has arrived we are eager to start the project. We plan to write a series of articles for NJ2X.COM reporting our progress and sharing our lessons learned as we bring the radio to life. Next we dive into the project by opening the package and reviewing the contents.
- Low cost
- Compact for portable use (153 mm x 97 mm x 40 mm)
- Discrete through the hole parts (except for 1 surface mount part)
- Manual well thought out
- 40m SSB phone operation
- 10 Watts
- Nice looking finished product
- Challenging kit with a healthy parts count (200)
- Positive comments posted various places on the Internet
Other related articles on NJ2X.COM:
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - New Arrival
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Opening The Package
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 1: Power Supply Circuit
- Project: Anderson Powerpole to 2.1mm Connector Pigtail
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 2: Audio Amplifier
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 3: Detector / Double Sided Band Modulator
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 4: RX IF Amplifier
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 5: IF Crystal Filter
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 6: Mixer and VXO Local Oscillator
- Soldering 101
- Desoldering 101
© Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Michael W. Maher and NJ2X.COM with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.