Q) What is engineering?
A) There are many definitions of engineering:
- Engineering is the purposeful use of science. - Steve Centuria, MIT
- Engineering is the practical application of science and math to solve problems.
- Engineering is the discipline, art, skill and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes.
- Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as
the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.
- Eningeering is the creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property. - American Engineers' Council for Professional Development