We followed the step-by-step instructions for installing each component. However, when we got to the capacitors and resistors, the instructions simply said, "solder the remaining capacitors and resistors; when finished, it will look like the photo". Each component is marked on the circuit board which helped. Using the circuit board and photo, we were able to figure out which parts to solder and the location. We would have preferred a little more guidance. In our opinion, it would have been helpful to provide a checklist identifying each part to be installed. We did like having the picture as a guide though a larger photo would be helpful.
|KN-Q7A circuit with the power supply and audio amplifier sections installed|
Testing the audio amplifier involves plugging a speaker into the speaker jack and confirming noise is heard from a speaker. We rummaged through our junk box and found a small speaker previously salvaged from a laptop computer. We also found a suitable cable with a miniture phono jack already soldered onto one end. We quickly stripped the cable and soldered it to the miniature speaker as a testing aid.
|Speaker soldered to speaker jack as a testing aid|
- We would prefer to see the instructions list out the specific parts to be installed rather than trying figure it out from a photo only.
- Powering up with the aid of 2.11 pigtail we made previously was a big help.
- Building a simple speaker plug soldered to a speaker with junk box parts made testing quick and easy.
- We really like the function test at the end of each step.
Other related articles on NJ2X.COM:
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - New Arrival
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Opening The Package
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 1: Power Supply Circuit
- Project: Anderson Powerpole to 2.1mm Connector Pigtail
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 2: Audio Amplifier
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 3: Detector / Double Sided Band Modulator
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 4: RX IF Amplifier
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 5: IF Crystal Filter
- KN-Q7A Single Band SSB Transceiver Kit - Step 6: Mixer and VXO Local Oscillator
- Soldering 101
- Desoldering 101